Sunday, October 10, 2010

ABOP Franken - Green for depression awareness month

APPLICATION: Smooth
COATS: 2 - could have been 1 coat only if more careful.
TOPCOAT?: Yes
SOURCE: Frankenpolish made from Orly polishes = 2 parts  Enchanted Forest + 2 parts Sol Cabana + 1 part Lemonade.

COMMENTS: Green is one of my favorite colors, and I love the more subdued greens as nail polish. I've collected paint chips of colors I like but don't have, so I used one (Glidden - Truly Olive) as an inspiration for this and am very pleased with the result.

I use a mirror to mix my drops of color. I don't always keep track of ratios, but I really wanted to dupe this color, so I did in this case. You can see my other attempts on the mirror as well.

In late morning light:

In early morning light:


Not an exact match in this light, but looks exactly the same indoors:

Bottle comparison to Essie - Sew Psyched. I prefer the color of my franken - mostly because it complements my skin better:

All I used for this mani. The polish dried reasonably fast, but since I put it on last night, I used the topcoat to protect it until I could take pictures today.

18 comments:

  1. oooh that is a winner
    i have saved the recipe
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That color rocks! Looks so flattering with your skintone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color does look good on your great nails! Thanks for doing this for depression awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it so much! And it looks drop dead gorgeous with your skintone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your paint chip idea for frankens. And this is gorgeous. You did a smashing job of matching the color and it looks awesome on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how this would look compared to Chanel Khaki Vert. It seems like it would be really similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies. It feels nice to have a color that I couldn't find to buy.
    @Öykü: I put the recipe in my post, so try it if you feel like frankening. I'm sure it can be done with green, red and yellow, you will just have to add white to lighten it up.

    @Soma: Alas I don't want to shell out the $$ to see if this is the same or close to the Chanel. Of course if someone wants to pick up that Glidden chip from their Home Depot or something and compare it, I wouldn't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.. i love ur franken..i would love to try this but theres only 1 color i have and its the orly enchanted forest..XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I really like this! I prefer it to Sew Psyched, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I love the idea of paint chips for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great color!! I like it better than the Essie because it looks a little less olive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This green is pretty and as Ive said before your nails are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had some of that Insta Dri clear - it made evry thing I put on chip like crazy! I used it twice and tossed it.

    This green is so strange...I would love to see it matte.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats perfect!!! i was lemming that kind of green since the khaki vert came out! i tried to do it with the second recipe you gave in the comments, red, green, yellow and white and i got an amazing color! thank you so much, i wouldnt never have figured out the franken by myself! if you want i can send you pictures of it :) thanks a lot, again*

    ps: sorry for my english, im an italian fan, eheh

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Anonymous - That is such great news!! I'd love to see what color you came up with and what it looks like on you! My email address is in my profile, and please let me know if I can post it to share with others reading the blog. It's an absolutely gorgeous green, so I'm really glad someone else tried it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated! I do respond to questions on the comment form if I feel they will be beneficial to others or if the requester has no direct email address. Thanks!